- Location: Flexible within the United States
- Salary: $125-150,000/year, commensurate with experience
- Rolling applications
At Keshet, we work for the full equality of all LGBTQ Jews and our families in Jewish life. We turn values at the heart of Judaism – equality, inclusion, and human dignity – into action in Jewish communities because when we stand by and allow LGBTQ Jews to be excluded, we hold all of Jewish life back from reaching its full potential. We equip Jewish organizations with the tools to build LGBTQ-affirming communities, create spaces in which queer Jewish teens feel valued, and mobilize for LGBTQ rights nationwide. See our reflections on 2020 and learn about one of our signature programs.
As an organization that teaches the importance of proactive LGBTQ inclusive messages and actions, Keshet recognizes the similar need to make our commitment to racial equity and justice clear and explicit. We commit to embed a racial equity and justice lens into Keshet’s leadership and staff structure, political analysis, organizational policies, communications, and program content.
Keshet's national office is in Boston with offices as well in San Francisco, Chicago and New York and staff working remotely from multiple additional locations.
THE OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT
Too many LGBTQ people experience discrimination and isolation in Jewish life. Keshet takes the lead in ensuring both that no one feels ostracized because of who they are and in building communities of belonging. In this critical role, you will enable us to spark change in every sphere of Jewish life by broadening and deepening Keshet’s network of supporters and raising the funds necessary to enable Keshet to sustain and grow our work. The impact of your work will expand possibilities for LGBTQ Jews to thrive and ultimately, help create a world in which people of all sexual orientations and gender identities can live with dignity.
We are seeking an experienced and savvy Chief Development Officer (CDO) to serve as a key member of our executive team and play an active role in making strategic decisions affecting Keshet’s work. In partnership with the CEO and Development Department staff, the CDO will be responsible for raising the funds for Keshet current and future programs. The CDO will build on a strong development foundation and continue to weave development strategy into the fabric of our programs and communications, coach a high-performing team, and chart the future of Keshet’s fundraising. The CDO will expand and diversify Keshet’s base of donors and foundation supporters. The CDO will work closely with the Director of Data and CRM to optimize use of data for development as well as with the Chief Communications Officer on fundraising communications. The CDO will also work closely with the Keshet Board of Directors to support them in their fundraising efforts and role as Keshet ambassadors.
The Chief Development Officer reports to the President and CEO, manages three staff members, and works with Keshet staff, board members, and donors across the country.
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Develop and implement annual and multi-year development plans that advance Keshet’s mission and vision
- Broaden awareness of Keshet’s programs and priorities
- Increase the visibility of Keshet’s programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Conduct research, prospecting, and application to of multiple donor sources
- Engage in direct solicitation of various levels of gifts, including major gifts, and manage staff and volunteer engagement in similar levels of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Develop and manage campaigns, engaging and overseeing staff and volunteer leaders in reaching goals
- Oversee strategy and implementation of fundraising events, ranging from house parties to major galas
- Develop an annual fundraising communications calendar and oversee print and digital content together with communications staff
- Partner with the President and CEO and Board on major fundraising initiatives
- Actively work with Executive Team to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy
- Work closely with our Department of Data and CRM in order to utilize data most efficiently and effectively for fundraising efforts
- Partner with the Chief Communications Officer in planning and executing fundraising communications
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Responsible for day-to-day activities of the development functions including budgeting, planning, and staff development
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct annual performance evaluations
Oversight and Reporting
- Oversee development and execution of all grant proposals, ensuring quality submissions, with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Monitor the development field to position Keshet ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Develop aggregate donor information and statistical analysis of donations using data from Salesforce
Mission Alignment & Culture Fit
- You are personally passionate and committed to advancing LGBTQ equality in Jewish life.
- You have a sophisticated, nuanced understanding of LGBTQ and Jewish identities, experiences, and perspectives as well as how they intersect. You possess a high level of fluency in the languages of these communities and social justice movements more broadly.
- You have previous experiences bringing a racial justice and gender equity lens to work products and staff culture.
- You have high EQ and hear what is said and unsaid. You build trust through relationships and personal stories. You are not afraid to advocate for organizational culture and values.
- You set high expectations for yourself and those around you.
- You are able to celebrate the victories in the work, big and small, while continuing to work for the long-term vision.
- You exude calm and warmth.
- You find joy in community and justice work.
Development Knowledge and Expertise
- You can point to previous experience implementing a comprehensive (ideally national) development plan that advanced a mission-driven organization’s goals and achieved measurable results.
- You have tangible experience initiating, cultivating, and deepening donor relationships over time.
- You have outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- You can transform knowledge, data, analytics, and experiences into powerful appeals to support Keshet’s work.
- You have experience with data and deadline-driven, detail-oriented project management.
- You can serve as an enthusiastic, visible, and engaging spokesperson for the organization.
Leadership & Management
- You are a collaborative leader and gain input and buy-in from a variety of stakeholders when executing your vision.
- You have worked with a visionary founder or leader as their strategic thought-partner.
- You are perceived by others as having presence, maturity, and expertise. You are decisive and can make hard decisions.
- You plan the big stuff and sweat the small stuff.
- You can translate strategy into plans and manage a team towards results.
- You coach team members with an open, inclusive leadership style that encourages cohesion, accountability, and high performance.
- You are adept at using technology and working with remote colleagues to facilitate daily work.
- You hold joy and resilience as key foundations for a healthy and happy team.
- You can distinguish between the truly time-sensitive and urgent and what is important but not requiring immediate action.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR APPLICATION PROCESS:
Frequently cited statistics show that women, trans, and non-binary people, as well as other structurally marginalized groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Keshet encourages you to break that statistic and to apply. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We look forward to your application.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until we find the right candidate for the position.
Salary range is $125-150,000/year, commensurate with experience.
Keshet offers a competitive benefits package, and a fast paced, purpose-driven, and fun work environment.
KESHET EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
Keshet is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff. Keshet provides equal opportunity to all people regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other proscribed category set forth in federal or state regulations. This policy applies to all employees and candidates for employment.